Choosing a backpacking water filter
In water emergency situations, a portable water filter can make the difference between life and death. In case of natural disasters, such as floods, hurricanes, earthquakes … if the local water service is interrupted, the authorities suggest using only bottled water, boiled water and drinkable water until the water service is not regularly restored.
In fact, the portable water filters are not only appreciated in the event of natural disaster, they are also much loved by adventurers and those who love the outdoors. In this context, a travel water filter can be very useful and can make the simplest adventure.
Filters are available in numerous common types: pump filters, gravity filters and bottles with straw or cover filters
Pump filters provide a human powered mechanism for filtering the polluted water especially when you are on the run. It is very beneficial for traveling as it does not require any kind of fuel or battery. So it is the ideal choice for backpacking water filter. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of pum0p filters. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before you put it back into the bag.
- It works quickly and provide filtered water in just few moments.
- It is very easy to use.
- It is very effective to remove the germs from the water.
- You have to operate it very cautiously as it is delicate and easily breakable.
- In order to achieve best results, it requires cleaning and maintenance on regular basis.
Gravy filters have a procedure like “set it and forget it” choice. When the water bag is occupied from your water spring, the structure is dangled on a rod, tree or high entity and gravity powers the water from the filthy bag over the filter on to an isolated bag comprising unsoiled, purified and treated water.
- They are very simple to operate
- They are great choice when you have large number of people around you.
- You need to keep a close eye on clean and untidy containers.
- You have to occasional clean the water filter.
- Bottles with filtering straws or covers
There are some water bottles which come with a filter assembled into the bottle that is either a part of the cover or combined as a straw. The traveler pours the water into the bottle and as water is drinked it clears through this bottle filter. It is actually a great choice for backpackers as it is easy to carry and nearly with no weight.
- It is simple to use
- It is easy to carry along with you for long journeys.
- It is inexpensive so easily affordable for everyone.
- It is useful for a single person. If there are more than one person going on a journey, it is recommended to have a separate bottle for each one.
- It can filter one bottle water quantity at a moment.
Water filter buying guide
When you are going to choose a backpacking water filter, consider the following points:
- The ability of the water to filter the water quickly.
- Pay close attention to cartridge life.
- Consider the weight and the size of water filter so it is easy for you to carry it along with you.