A leaky car battery: Helpful tips & advices
Car batteries contain a solution of sulphuric acid that’s highly corrosive and toxic which is why one should be extra careful when handling leaky car batteries by taking all effective measures. Always make sure that a leaked car battery in Dubai is kept safe and secure, away from children and pets. Wear safety gloves and eyewear when taking care of such batteries. Read on to find out more!
How to identify a leaky battery?
A car battery in Dubai is functioning at its fullest without giving any trouble whatsoever, a leak is unlikely to happen however, there’re indeed tell-tale signs to pinpoint if this is so! These are;
- Visible evidence of fluid dripping from the cracks and damaged battery casing is clear
- Bubbling liquid oozing from the cell caps which is highly toxic so don’t expose any of the body part, cloth or the usual kitchen tool
- The battery appears twisted, inflated and rather unusual shape
On noticing any of the above, it’s obvious that battery is damaged and must be replaced immediately. Should you and any part of the car come in direct contact with leaked content of the battery, wash it off immediately with ice-cold water. Worst case scenario; if somehow the liquid is exposed to the eyes, wash immediately with cold water and seek medical attention.
Why the acidic leak from car batteries?
Unless overcharged, physically damaged or perhaps bought a faulty piece, a typical car battery in Dubai shouldn’t leak. As we speak, car batteries don’t last forever and must be replaced after minimum three and maximum five years.
The longer they’ve been installed and used, more prone to leaks and damages they become. This is the reason they must be checked at frequent intervals. Here’s why acidic leak occurs in the first place;
- The acidic leak from the car battery is usually through the cell caps on the top or perhaps the battery received a damaging blow due to some reason
- Overcharging the car battery is another reason for the leak. Install smart battery chargers that can detect when a battery’s fully charges, sending an alert so you can take care of things on time
- Extreme cold weather is another reason for a cracked and leaked battery. During severe winter, battery acid inside freezes that as a result expands the battery, put pressure on the cells and connected water pipes that burst as a reaction. This reaction is rare but it may occur where temperature drops alarmingly
Possibility of water leak in car batteries
Car batteries are filled with a solution of acid and water whereas extreme cold weather separates both and this is when problem starts to occur. It usually happens when the battery is overfilled with distilled water or any part of the battery cracks, allowing acid to ooze out.
A typical car battery in Dubai nowadays come completely sealed and as “maintenance free” unit. The chemistry makeup of sealed batteries is slightly different as they consume less water which is why you don’t need to pop the top to pour distilled water frequently.